The U.K. Government has introduced a Point Based System from the year 2010. The student needs to pass a points-based assessment under Tier 4 for students.
40 Points are required for Student Visa out of which 30 points are for the Certificate of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) and 10 points for Maintenance of Funds.
Calculation of funds for the Visa
- Undergraduate Students - First year course fees + Pounds 7380 @ Pounds 800 x 9 months
- Postgraduate Students - Course Fees + Pounds 7380 @ Pounds 800 Maximum, Upto 9 months .
Options to show the funds
- Savings A/c Bank Balance. The savings account should be in the Student's name or jointly with parents or legal guardian or parents only. The funds should be held for consecutive 28 days period ending no more than one month before the date of your application. A letter from Bank (duly stamped and signed) on the official headed paper in original would be required OR/AND
- Original Education Loan Sanction Letter in the student's name. It must be dated no more than six month before the date of your application. OR/AND
- Bank Fixed Deposit Receipts in the Student's name or jointly with parents or legal guardian or parents only. It should have been held for consecutive 28 days period. A letter from Bank (duly stamped and signed) on the official headed paper in original would be required confirming funds and can be withdrawn immediately.
For students using funds of parents or Legal Guardian The student showing Saving A/C's or Fixed Deposits receipt of Parents/Legal Guardian should also show evidence of relationship (Birth Certificate of Legal documents to be produced in original) or Affidavit from Parents/Legal Guardian in original - stating permission to use available funds for higher education by Parents/Legal Guardian.
Kindly note that the student does not have to show the source of Funds. (Proof of recent depositis not required). For example, if the student has to show Rs. 14 Lakhs, he can show the sameby depositing Rs. 14 Lakhs cash in his savings account. Alternatively his parents can transfer part / full amount into the student's bank account.
- 100% Education Loan is also acceptable.
- Government Sponsorship is acceptable.
- The fees can be paid from any bank account including student, parents, relatives or friends.
- Fee receipt / deposit receipt should be issued directly by the University. This receipt will be issued after the money transferred by Telegraphic Transfer (TT) prior to Visa application. Receipt from U.K. might take 15 - 20 days. The fee payment will be recorded in the CAS student management system which will be accessible to the High Commission, hence the original receipt or a reference on the CAS is not mandatory.
- The Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies should not be less than 6 months old (soft copy can be attached with Visa Application Form).
- IELTS / TOEFL needed (if the University has asked in the offer letter)
- Students going for pre-sessional courses followed by Master's or Bachelor's degree will require the Certificate of Acceptance of Studies letter for both the courses.
The following documents are required for Student Visa
- Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
- Copy of Fee receipt from the University (if advance payment done)
- Saving Bank Account Statement in the name of the Student or student jointly with Parents or student with Local Guardian only parents. OR/AND
- Bank Fixed Deposit Receipts in the name of the Student or student jointly with Parents or student with Local Guardian or only parents. OR/AND
- Bank Education Loan Sanction letter in the name of the student if applicable
- Birth Certificate or Affidavit for the proof of relationship of student and parents or legal guardian.
- Academic Documents (as mentioned in the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies)
- IELTS / TOEFL Score report (if needed)
- ATAS certificate if applicable
- Tuberculosis test report
The following documents are not required for Visa
- Income Tax Returns.
- Other asset papers like: Property, Share, PPF, EPF, Post Office, jewellery, etc.
- Sponsorship letter.
Duration of Visa
- If the course duration is 12 months and above, the visa would be granted for the length of the course plus 4 months.
- If the course duration is 6 months to less than 12 months, the visa would be granted for the length of the course plus 2 months.
- If the course duration is less than 6 months, the visa would be granted for the length of the course plus 7 days.
Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)
Applicants outside of the European Economic Area who intend to apply for a PhD, MPhil or Masters in following subject areas, will need to apply for an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) Certificate before applying for a visa. Information on ATAS requirements will be included in the offer letter. Please visit www.fco.gov.uk/atas for more information about Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS).
- Computer Sciences
- Physics and Astronomy
- Biological Sciences
- Materials Science
- Some Subjects allied to Medicine
- Advanced Mechanical Engineering
- Automotive Engineering
- Nanotechnology programmes
- Medical Engineering
- Medical Physics
- Quantum Technologies
- Chemical Process Research and Development
- Chemical Engineering
- Pharmaceutical Science and Engineering
- Pharmaceutical Technology and Quality Assurance
How to Apply
If you are applying for visa the students should take an appointment with Visa Facilitation Services (VFS) offices, which are official agents of British High Commission. VFS have 11 offices located all over the country. Kindly visit www.vfs-uk-in.com/ for detailed information on address of VFS near to your place.
Kindly make two transparency files / folders as follows to be taken to the Visa Facilitation Services (VFS) office of British High Commission for Visa.
- Carrying all Original Documents in above order
- Carrying all photocopies of above documents in same order
- A CAS can only be used once. If your application is refused or rejected, do not attempt to make another application using the same CAS. You can request a new CAS using the contact email addresses in the email which delivered your first CAS.
- If your application is refused or rejected, please email a copy of the refusal letter to Wait for our advice before making a new visa application
Tier 4 Student visa Interviews
VISA UPDATE - Tuberculosis (TB) test before apply for visa
On 21 May 2012 the UK Government announced the requirements for tuberculosis (TB) screening for all those applying for a visa for stay in the UK for more than 6 months. This means if you are going to UK for study for more than 6 months, you will now require a TB check before you apply for visa. You are advised to get the TB X- Ray done and submit your reports with your visa application form.